Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Rough Month

All year we look forward to the summer, and this year was no exception. We had a great (although cool) June, filled with many trips to the zoo, park, and walks around our neighborhood. We had a good start to July as well and enjoyed celebrating Andy's 29th birthday on July 12th. The night of the 12th unfortunately took a turn for the worse, when Damien woke up sick (throwing up). Ever since that night, our family has been struggling through a series of illnesses. It started out with the stomach flu (all four of us got it), followed by what appeared to be a viral eye infection accompanied by fevers for the boys, followed by some type of cold (coughing, sneezing, runny nose, etc). During this time, both boys seems to be having intermittent fevers, but would appear normal in between. This all seemed to peak last Monday (7/25) when Damien got a fever up to 104.3, a rash, and wasn't eating. I immediately called the doctor and was told to keep treating with tylenol/ibuprofen, and if he had the fever for three consecutive days, we should bring him in. Well, on Wednesday morning when I brought him in, Damien was diagnosed with a double ear infection and tonsillitis. He immediately got started on a 10-day course of amoxicillin. On Friday, he didn't seem much better, so we went back to the doctor and his amoxicillin dose was increased. Saturday was the first day Damien woke up without a fever.
Meanwhile, we had hoped that Blaise had made it through without getting sick, as we were told Damien was probably only contagious for 24-48 hrs after his antibiotics were started. However, Saturday night, Blaise started getting lethargic, and he woke up with a fever on Sunday and refused to eat anything except his bottle (he had been eating table foods and drinking from a sippy cup). So, first thing Monday morning (yesterday), I called the doctor and got Blaise in for an appointment. Blaise was diagnosed with a right ear infection and started on a three day course of azithromycin. Blaise's fever also went up to 104 yesterday afternoon, and he was one sad baby. Today Blaise seems a little better--he woke up with a fever of 101, but his temperament seems a little better and he tried some yogurt and applesauce.
We are hoping and praying that once these antibiotics take effect, our family will be able to get out of the house and enjoy the rest of summer! Maybe Mommy and Daddy can even get a break! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment